Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Basics...


There are a number of things a stylish man needs, the basics if you will. What is the most basic clothing item for most people? Not underwear (we'll address that later) but denim. JEANS! We won't discuss fit here because that's a whole series of blogs to come, but what should every man have...

Every man should have a basic pair of dark wash jeans. I'm sure you've heard it before. My favorites you may ask?

LEVI's 501 Jeans

These jeans bring together my favorite things:
  • They are reasonably priced. (about $50)
  • They are classic. (Iconic even)
  • They provide a neutral base for the rest of the outfit.
  • They can be dressed up or dressed down.

How to wear them:
Here's where we take this simple basic and make it 'stylish'....
  • Try cuffing the bottom as shown above. This protects the denim from stepping being stepped on and reinforces that decidedly 50's, classic flair inherent to Levi's.
  • Throw a (carefully folded) handkerchief in your back pocket. This is one of my favorite tips. It's like a pocket square in a suit jacket. You can add color and pattern. Don't worry about 'matching' but coordination is key. Think about the colors tomes/saturation.
  • If it's warm roll them up. Be careful to roll them up evenly and smoothly so they still look tailored and not sloppy. This shows a 'care free' and easy-going attitude and shows that you don't take yourself to seriously. Sometimes shorts just don't provide the warmth needed.
  • Finally, think belts. This is a whole different subject. But think "is my belt as casual/formal as the rest of my outfit?" and "Is this belt doing anything for my proportions and will my pants stay up without it."
Well friends I'm excited to start this blog and I hope you enjoy. Fellas, go basic with your jeans and you might start to stand out from the herd.

No comments:

Post a Comment